Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I have not blogged for some time, Bloggers tend to blog with some consistency. Daily, weekly or some other increment of time. Me, never regularly. I used to blog when I thought no one would read what I said. That still may be the case, although I have 6 followers! Thank you followers.

Today I posted several reviews I wrote over the last year, and this past month that I wanted to share, originally published on the online magazine, Exhibit-v, associate the writing more closely with my own blog. I feel grateful that the Exhibit-v creator, Efren Quiroz is willing to publish my review writing. However, I am glad they are 'home', too.

I have done other thing recently (last year) besides write about local art work - local as in work seen in Victoria BC, where I presently live. Yes, last year I created my website, http://www.deboraalanna.com/ - which also has a blog component. I found this feature very confusing because I wrote on this blog for the past 10 years. I thought I would keep this blog, because I am very sentimental and do not want to give up this long standing presence, but will have a different lean, more specifically related to my own work on my deboraalanna site. This blog, I will write a more personal side of the journey. That's what I think for now.

2013 was a year of preparing for an art residency at the Akureyri Artists Studio in Akureyri Iceland last June. I worked and showed the work made in residency at the Populus Tremula Gallery. (painting, sculpture, installation). I called the exhibition, Hybrid: Lava & Light. This travel, residency and exhibition was funded on Indiegogo by supportive, wonderful people. You can see my proposal and outcome, read about the progress, outcome of my crowd funding by clicking on the word funding. 


I am still reeling from the outcome of this residency. Next post, I will go into more detail about what happened and explain why I am feeling the impact 7 months later. 


I continued to paint all summer.


And I wrote some poetry. Still not sure if I want to share many of these.  Here's one of several. 





Also, for the month of November, I was asked to participate in Difference and Repetition, a group exhibition of 30+ local artists at the Slide Room Gallery, curated by Efren Quiroz. Below is my contribution to this show.

Vagaries through Deference  by Debora Alanna - 30 x 30"

This is a lot of blogging after a big absence. Will continue...

No comments: