Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Icelandic

Once, bilingual, I was the family translator, I am told. Our multi-cultured Canadian family needed me to relate the meanings of the words uttered by Ingebjorg and Thorvalder to those who spoke only English. Apparently, from the time I could talk until the age of 9 I was called upon for this role. As Ingebjorg became more articulate in English, my Icelandic waned. Thorvalder suddenly died, and my Icelandic grew less dominant, and eventually faded by lack of use. I am sorry that I cannot remember much of this beautiful, poetic language. The sagas Ingebjorg sang, the verses a-plenty are now only sounds of comfort. Yet, I did spend a few hours with her about eight years ago, a few years before she died and within those hours, I was nearly able to comprehend her scolding!!

However distant that usage is, the power of Icelandic still dominates my soul. I speak with a slight accent, I am told. The poetic sensibility of the language has never left me, and the harsh guttural contrasted with smooth, silky vowels twistable with the tongue drives my English pronunciation into foreign realms unknown to native speakers. I wish I could deliver more vocabulary without having to think. I need to visit Iceland, my heritage to revive this gift of my youth.

4 comments:

Ásta said...

Ekki spurning - æfa sig í íslensku. Ef þú kemst ekki til Íslands er málið bara að lesa og hlusta eins mikið og þú getur. Finna vinveitta manneskju sem getur leiðrétt þig ef svo ber undir.

(I followed this link from the Learn Icelandic community - I can say all of the above again in English if you prefer)

Unknown said...

I would really appreciate a translation. Tak.

Tyr said...

Yes let's go to Iceland. I can't wait! Oh and I would appreciate a translation. Translate what you can, family translator!

Ásta said...

The translation :)

"No question - practice the Icelandic. If you can't make it to Iceland the thing to do is to read and listen as much as you can. Find a friendly person who can correct you whan the need rises."